The objectives of the math education cluster are the following:
- to help renew research in the Division by sustaining its clusters activities through long-term research projects with system funding, presentation of papers in conferences, publication in refereed journals, and sponsorship of seminars, conferences and schools on math education;
- to assist the Institute in its faculty development program by helping its members to obtain opportunities for trainings and workshops in math education and to complete their graduate research requirements;
- to support the curricular offering of the BS MST program; and finally,
- to enhance multidisciplinary among the different units of the college and the University in general.
Leader: Prof. Lynie B. Dimasuay
Members: Prof. Rolando G. Panopio
Prof. Vernel M. Lawas
Ms. Jennifer L. Esguerra
• 2006-2008 Instructional materials about learning objects (Special Problems of BS MST students)
• 2009-2010 The focus shifted on different fields. Diversified topics on HS curricular development and problem solving approaches in Mathematics were emerged.
Math Ed Cluster currently undertakes basic research project, entitled:
Title Acceptability and Usefulness of MOODLE as a Tool in Teaching and Learning in theUniversity of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)(with Beverly Pabro from ILC)
SSObungen and LB Dimasuay .Errors and Misconceptions in Basic Mathematics of UP Students. June 2001- May 2002.
Papers published in non-ISI refereed journals
“Development of Learning Objects to Supplement Teaching and Learning”.Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on eLearning for Knowledge-Based Society. International Journal of the Computer, The Internet and Management, Vol 16, Dec 31, 2008. ISSN 0858-7027.
1. LynieDimasuay, Debra Mae Maigue and Joan Gresola. “Development of Learning Objects to Supplement Teaching and Learning”. Paper presented at the 5th e-Learning Conference on Knowledge Based Society, December 11-12, 2008. Assumption University, Bangkok, Thailand.
2. LynieDimasuay and Beverly Pabro, “Use of Learning Management System: A University of the Philippines Los Baños(UPLB)Classroom Experience”. Paper presented at the 6th e-Learning Conference on Knowledge Based Society, December 17-18, 2009. Assumption University, Bangkok, Thailand.
1. Seminar Workshop on “How to Use the Popular Media in Teaching” with the theme” A New and Better Way of Teaching, Laguna State Polytechnic University, February 3, 2009.
2. Regional Training on Addressing Misconceptionsinn Secondary Math and Science held at PGMS, Sta. Cruz Laguna, Aug 14-15, 2009.
3. Talk on “ The Role of ICT in Enhancing Mathematics Teaching” for Teachers in the Elementary and High School of Sta Rosa, October 27, 2010
4. LynieDimasuay and VernelLawas, “The Effectiveness of Learning Objects on Algebraic Concepts: An Assessment of the UP Los Banos Experiences”. A paper presented at the 7th Biennial Conference of the Philippine Council of Mathematics Teacher Educators Inc, International Conference, Puerto Princesa, Palawan City, October 23-24, 2009.
5. LynieDimasuay, Beverly Pabro and NiloTorio, “Students’ Assessment on the use of Learning Management System in Teaching at University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)” . Paper presented at the 8th Biennial Conference of the Philippine Council of Mathematics Teacher Educators Inc, International Conference, Olongapo City, October 21-22, 2011
6. LynieDimasuay, Beverly Pabro and Joel Cardenas, “Interactive Learning Center of the University of the Philippines Los Baños (ILC-UPLB) – A Catalyst of Empowering Teaching and eLearning”. Paper presented at the 10th National eLearning Conference of the Philippines, A and A Plaza, Puerto Princesa Palawan, Dec 1-3, 2011.
7. VernelLawas, “Preliminary Investigation on the Effect of Music in a Mathematical Assessment on Selceted Third Year Students of UPRHS (AY 2010-2011)”, 8th Biennial Conference of Philippine Council of Mathematics Educators (MATHTED), Inc., International Conference on Mathematics Education, Columban College, Olongapo City, Zambales, Philippines (October 21-22, 2011)
8. VernelLawas, “Bands of Labeled Graphs”, Mathematical Society of the Philippines 2003 Annual Convention, UPLB, May 24-25, 2003.
9. VernelLawas, “Calculus Students’ Understanding of Mathematical Concepts”, Presidential Commission on Upgrading Mathematics Education, July 22-23,1999, UP Diliman (as study leader only; Dr. Myrna Belarmino, the project leader presented the paper)
Last Updated on Sunday, 17 March 2013 16:41